Store huge data in to the Realm database

(Ashkan Saj) #1

I am working on a content based app and Realm has been perfectly fine for me. The only problem is I have no idea where to store data in the first place. I have about 500 strings that should be in to the realm file the moment user opens the app. I can use an Application extended class and write the code inside the onCreate method, but isn’t there a better way to store mass data other than writing the same line for about 500 times?
P. S: I use one transaction, but even in this case it does not seem standard and clean code at all knowing that I already have all that data in the realm file and don’t want to run that code all over again.

(Robson Barreto dos Santos) #2

Edit your question with some code, this way we can see what can be improved! :slight_smile:

(Zsolt Jandzso) #3

Then why dont you just simply ship your initial realm with the app?

(Ashkan Saj) #4

My code looks like this:

myRealm = Realm.getDefaultInstance();
myRealm.executeTransactionAsync(new Realm.Transaction(){
	@Override
	public void execute(Realm realm){

//TheContent extends from RealmObject and has an int field for "id" and a string field for "value"
		TheContent myContent = new TheContent();

//record 1
		myContent.setId(1);
		myContent.setValue("this is the value i want to insert in the first record");
		realm.copyToRealm(myContent);

//record 2
		myContent.setId(2);
		myContent.setValue("this is the value i want to insert in the second record");

//record 3
		myContent.setId(3);
		myContent.setValue("this is the value i want to insert in the third record");

}
});

But I am pretty sure that is not the correct way to handle what I intend.

(Ashkan Saj) #5

I really would like to do that. But as far as I know there is not a way to create realm databases outside the code. I even checked out Realm Studio but it seems it can only edit/manipulate existing databases.

(Robson Barreto dos Santos) #7

I am a little bit busy now and can’t think too much about the problem, but a possible solution would be:

List<TheContent> theContents  = Arrays.asList(new Gson().fromJson(contentsJson, TheContens[].class))

Where contentsJson should be a json string representing an array of all your contents.
Then you could use this List with inititalData() method like this:

RealmConfiguration config = new RealmConfiguration.Builder()
                .initialData(new Realm.Transaction() {
                    @Override
                    public void execute(Realm realm) {
                       realm.insert(theContents)
                    }
                }).build();

Realm.setDefaultConfiguration(config);

This way when your database file is created for the first time (and only for the first time), your database will be prepopulated with this data.

FYI: The second code block should be on your Application class!

(Zsolt Jandzso) #8

Yeah, thats not the good way, but it is definitely working.

The solution is simple: insert all of your data in a development app, copy the realm out and use that as the initial realm.

With realm studio, you can import data, see here: https://docs.realm.io/sync/realm-studio#importing-data