Realm Studio with Encryption

Is viewing an encrypted realm supported in Realm Studio?

Open an encrypted realm on OSX

Yes, but you need to provide the encryption key hex encoded. See e.g. this Java example here: https://github.com/realm/realm-java/blob/master/examples/encryptionExample/src/main/java/io/realm/examples/encryption/EncryptionExampleActivity.java#L51

Hi there. I’m also having a problem opening a Realm database in Realm Studio after encrypting it.

I am using Realm in a Xamarin Forms project using C#. The saving and reloading in the App itself works fine (I’m storing the key as a base64 encoded string using Xamarin.Auth and converting it back and it works as intended). But when I copy the DB from my emulator to my laptop and try and open the database using the HEX string generated in my log statements, it says 'Unable to open a realm at path : Realm file decryption failed.

The HEX generated is the same from both the initial generation of the byte key and the reloading of it.

I don’t usually code in C#, so I apologise if it’s a stupid error, but as far as I can tell I’m encrypting as per the example you’ve given, and logging the HEX correctly.

Any help would be very welcome.

byte[] key = null;

// Try and access the keystore for the Realm encryption key
Account account = AccountStore.Create().FindAccountsForService(Constants.APP_NAME).FirstOrDefault();

if(account != null)
	key = Convert.FromBase64String(account.Properties[ENCRYPTION_KEY_NAME]);

// If it's not available this is the first install. Generate one and store it.
if(key == null)
{
	key = new byte[64];
	var rng = new RNGCryptoServiceProvider();
	rng.GetBytes(key);

(if account == null)
		account = new Account { Username = Constants.APP_NAME };
	account.Properties.Add(ENCRYPTION_KEY_NAME, Convert.ToBase64String(key));
	AccountStore.Create().Save(account, Constants.APP_NAME);

this.SafeLog(LogLevel.Debug, $"Generated configuration key: {BitConverter.ToString(key).Replace("-", "")}");
}
else
	this.SafeLog(LogLevel.Debug, $"Loaded configuration key: {BitConverter.ToString(key).Replace("-", "")}");

// Connect to Realm using the encryption key
RealmConfiguration realmConfiguration = new RealmConfiguration()
{
	EncryptionKey = key
};
realm = Realm.GetInstance(realmConfiguration);